Heidelberg Borough

Frequently Asked Questions
Online Bill Pay
Officials / Meetings / Contact Numbers
Public Services
News and Events
Community Calendar
Council Minutes / Budgets / Municipal Data
Permit Applications / Tax Forms / Fee Schedule
Doing Business
Emergency Preparedness
Heidelberg Code of Ordinances
Zoning Ordinance & Map / Property Maintenance Code
Boro Updates by E-Mail
Public Notices / Employment
Open Records / Right to Know Requests
Stormwater Management
Flood Insurance Mapping Changes 2011-2014
Photo Journal
Community Links
Frequently Asked Questions


What are the hours of the Borough Office? The Borough Office is open Monday – Friday, 8AM – 4PM.

Where is the Heidelberg Borough Building located? 1631 East Railroad Street (PA. Route 50), Heidelberg, PA 15106

Does the Borough offer Notary Services? Not at this time.

Where do I go to vote? The Borough’s polling location is the Heidelberg VFD Social Hall, 456 First Street. Voting registration forms can be found in the Borough Office.

Where are meetings of Borough Council conducted? There are two meetings a month of Borough Council; the workshop meeting is the second Tuesday of the month, 6:30 PM and it is conducted in the Community Room located at 1639 E. Railroad Street. The Regular – Borough Meeting is the third Tuesday of the month, 7:00 PM and it is also conducted in the Community Room.


Where do I pay a traffic or non-traffic citation or ask for a hearing? District Court 05-2-22, 301 Lindsay Road, Carnegie, PA 15106, that is the Scott Twp. Municipal Building. Make checks payable to District Court 05-2-22. Detailed information is located on the back of your citation.

What number do I dial in an emergency? Dial 9-1-1; do not call the police station office number. No one is usually in the station as the officers are out on patrol most of the time. Non-emergency calls dial 412-279-6911 and the office number at the station is 412-276-0513.

Who do I call if I’m depressed or feel suicidal? Allegheny Crisis Emergency Services: 1-888-424-2287, this is a free service to all Allegheny County residents.

Who can I turn to if I’m a victim of a violent crime? Center for Victims of Violent Crimes: 412-392-858 -- Domestic Abuse Counseling: 412-431-4999 -- Pittsburgh Action Against Rape: 412-431-5665 or 866-363-7273 -- Family Resources: 412-363-1702 or 877-927-6596  -- PA Crime Stoppers: 1-800-472-8477 US Attorneys Office, Pittsburgh, PA: 412-644-3500  -- Older Adults Protective Services: 717-255-2790

Do the Heidelberg Police offer Fingerprinting services? Yes, the HPD does applicant fingerprinting if need be for needed documents such as employment applications, civil papers…, the cost is $10. Call the police office to schedule an appointment at 412-276-0513.

Can the Heidelberg Police Department check on my residence if I am out of town? Yes, the HPD does conduct special vacation checks of resident’s property. For further information contact the Chief of Police, Vernon Barkley at 412-276-0513.

What is the Borough’s curfew for children under 18 years of age? It shall be unlawful for any person 17 or fewer years of age (under 18) to be or remain in or upon the streets within the Borough of Heidelberg at night during the period ending at 6:00 AM and beginning: At 10:00 PM for minors 11 or fewer years of age, at 10:30 PM for minors 12 or 13 years of age, at 11:00 PM for minors 14 or more years of age. Note: There are various exceptions for the curfew including: when the minor is accompanied by a parent, accompanied by an authorized adult by the parent, etc.

What should I do if there is excessive noise in my neighborhood such as horns honking, barking dogs, loud car stereos, etc? Notify the Police Department at the non-emergency number, 412-279-6911. Please try to obtain a license plate number or vehicle description whenever possible.

Code Enforcement

When do I need a building permit? You will need to obtain a building permit when constructing any of the following: Additions, adding on a porch roof, air conditioning unit, deck or patio, retaining wall over 4 feet in height, garage, new house, swimming pool. These are just some examples to give you a general guideline. You can contact our office if you have any questions.

When is a building permit not required? You do not need to obtain a building permit for the following: Replacing doors and windows within existing structure, replacing downspouts, gutters, soffit, and fascia, replacing kitchen and bath fixtures, such as cabinets, countertops, and sinks. Also you do not need a building permit to replace roof shingles. These are just some examples to give you a general guideline. You can contact our office if you have any questions.

When do I need a zoning permit? You will need to obtain a zoning approval permit when erecting a fence or any accessory use structure such as a shed, car port, small garage, wall, swimming pool, deck, parking pads. Commercial signs also require zoning approval. These are just some examples to give you a general guideline. Also please note that the Borough Ordinances require a survey of the property be submitted with the zoning permit application for permission to erect a fence.

If I decide to sell my home or rent it out, do I need a Certificate of Occupancy? Yes, Occupancy inspections are required at the time of sale or new occupancy of a structure. A dye test certification and no-lien letter is also required by the Borough at the time of closing. A rental operating license is required for all rental property within Heidelberg. This is a three (3) year license that includes the necessary safety inspections and tenant registrations.

Where do I report an Ordinance complaint such as high grass, unsightly property, abandoned / expired vehicles…? Complaints can be filed at the Borough office in person or via phone at 412-276-0363. Complaints also can be filed electronically via the website from the comments page.

Public Works

When is garbage collection within Heidelberg? Trash pickup is every Thursday. On the weeks of the following holidays, trash collection is postponed one day, should the holiday be before the day of trash pickup. These holidays include New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Reminders of the trash collection are posted on the Borough Calendars on the website and in the community message boards.

When can I place my garbage out on the curb line for pickup? Contributing to the orderliness of our municipality is a community affair. Ordinance No. 565 regulates the times when containers for garbage and rubbish can be placed to the curb line. Garbage containers and other containers for garbage and rubbish may not be placed at the curb line until 5:00 PM of the day previous to the day set for collection of residential garbage. Emptied container can be left at the curb only until 9:00 PM the day of collection. The emptied containers must be brought back from the curb line and placed at their normal storage place, abutting or in the residence at all other times. The Borough requests that empty containers be placed at the back of the house or rear side yard. Do not place your containers at the front of your property. Help beautify our community by adhering to this ordinance.

What do I do if the Garbage Collector fails to pickup my trash? Call Waste Mgt. at 1-800-866-4460.

Does Heidelberg recycle? The Borough does not offer recycling, however we recycle paper products at the drop off site (green / yellow dumpster) in front of Heidelberg Park on Industry Way.

There is property in my neighborhood where I have seen rodents. Who do I call about this? Call the Borough Manager at 412-276-0363 to report a rodent complaint. The Public Works Department is trained in baiting properties in aim of controlling rodent problems.

Emergency / Fire

Am I permitted to have a recreational fire on my property? Per the Allegheny County Code, recreational burning is permitted, however the fire must meet the following conditions: the fire must be controlled in an area no bigger than 4’ x 4’, the materials being burnt must be clean, natural woods – NO GARBAGE, treated / painted lumber, plastics… Also per the County Code, the odor and smoke from the fire must be contained within your property limits. If the smoke or odor travel onto neighboring properties and the neighbors do not wish to have the smoke and / or odor within their property, the fire can be ordered to be extinguished by a Borough Official (Police Officer, Fire Officer …)

Does the Borough have an emergency signal to warn us about a possible flood? Yes, the Borough has a formal flood warning and evacuation signal that uses the fire whistle of the HVFD. The flood warning policy can be found on the Emergency Preparedness page and is also posted within the community message boards.

Who do I contact about renting the Heidelberg VFD Social Hall? Contact Nancy Wissel at 412-722-6314.

Tax Collection

What is the real estate tax rate (millage) and what are the payment periods? The Borough millage is 6.95, school is 19.88 mills, and county is 4.69 mills. The payment periods for Borough Real Estate Tax are as follows: Discount April 1- May 31, Face June 1 - July 31 and Penalty after August 1

What school district is Heidelberg part of? Heidelberg is one of the four communities that make up the Chartiers Valley School District.

Where do I get the Borough’s animal registration and tag? All dogs, cats and domestic animals are required to have the Heidelberg animal registration as well as the county’s. The fee is a one-time fee of $5.00, and a picture of the animal as well as a veterinarian’s certification that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies is required. Tax Collector, Ted Gazda will then issue you a Heidelberg tag and a copy of the registration that is on file with the Police Department and Tax Office.

Heidelberg Borough - 1631 E. Railroad Street, Heidelberg, PA 15106